Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to My Curly Roots





I was born with curly hair. I don't have a vivid memory of my hair back then but looking at photographs, it used to look cute. I really don't mind having curly hair. What I don't understand is that as I grew up, my hair looked terrible. It looked so dry, spongy and thick. My curls started to fade away but they didn't turn out to be straight either. Instead, I had the middle hair syndrome... not too curly but not straight enough. Okay, I just made that term up. hahaha It makes me think what curse had been cast upon me that my crowning glory turned out to be a crown with thorns. Corny! Come on, you get my drift.

I decided to have my hair straightened when I was in third year high school. It turned out to be very nice because it was my first time. But as I had it restraightened over the years, it wasn't the same. Medicines piled up so my hair became brittle and difficult to handle. I shifted to having my hair relaxed, then rebonded. Yes, I was really getting into the trends but honestly they were better than the old fashioned strong and damaging straightening that I used to get. But as I shifted, it got more expensive. It wouldn't really hurt much if my hair didn't grow as fast. I got tired of the process. I got fed up of saving up for something that vanished after 5 months. I did this for more or less eight years. Oh my poor hair!

About a year ago, after months and months of contemplating, I decided to throw caution to the wind and cut my hair short. It wasn't the best decision ever because at that time, my hair was starting to curl up again. My cousin suggested I iron my hair to improve the look, plus it would be easier because it was already short. I gave it a shot and I was very pleased with how it turned out. I asked my mom to buy me a more expensive ceramic iron so it would be less-damaging. I had to wake up earlier to fix my hair and I ironed it almost every day. Again, oh my poor hair!

Doing my daily hair fix is tiresome. I always have to allot two hours of preparation before I go out. It’s such a waste of time and effort. Thank God for beanies and hats that save me during lazy times but hats don’t suit all wardrobes and occasions. When I am just at home, I leave my hair alone and I noticed that my curls are unlike before. They’re more defined. I always tell myself that I would leave it alone even when I go out but I just can’t find the guts until I got bored. God knows how lethargy can influence one's mind. I applied some hair mousse and fortunately, I got the result that I want. Hooray!!! I hope I can now say good bye to rebonding and ironing for a long time.

So what to do you think? :)

2 comments:

  1. are the last two photos your hairstyle now, nik? i think it looks good on you! yay! go curly hair!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tet, i didn't notice your comment. umm we already saw each other so by now you already know the answer. heheh

    ReplyDelete