Saturday, May 8, 2010

Of His Dread Locks


Before Ayk aka Big Marvin and I were together, he used to have dreadlocks. I was a never a fan of that hairstyle because honestly I perceived it as untidy and dirty. Really, why torture your hair??? I had a change of heart, okay just a little, when Ayk told me about his interest (obsession?) in reggae and Bob Marley. Plus he told me how he shampoos and takes care of his hair. His dreads at that time wouldn’t last long he said, since he would be shifting to nursing where long hair is a big no no, how much more his well-loved dreads. It was really a big deal when he had to cut it. He took painful baby steps. Instead of completely shaving his hair off, he cut it first and had shorter locks. He then removed the muddled lump of locked hair and I thought it was a mess. (Sorry panggs! hehe) I was so relieved when he finally shaved it!

It’s definitely obvious that Ayk missed his hair. When he would see people with dreadlocks, he can’t help but comment about them. He would often make hints of having dreads again. Not going to happen!

Persistence really pays off. Ayk has been growing his hair. He said that he wanted to flaunt his curly hair. It really looked good on him and people started to appreciate it. Well, it was until his curls were too long that it was untidy already. I was annoyed of how it looked. One time, he tried using a hair tie which for me was worse. At that moment, I half-halfheartedly said that dreadlocks would look neater. O-oh! Wrong move. You should have seen the look on his face when I said that. He was like a little boy who was told he could buy any toy that he wanted. Even if at that moment I wanted to take what I said, I didn’t. He promised that he will just have it for the summer. He hurriedly got his phone and contacted somebody to do his hair. Boy, was he fast! He immediately grabbed the opportunity before I would change my mind. Okay, I’ll just be supportive. It’s his hair anyway and I know that he would really be happy.

It’s a dream come true for somebody; or as he said dreads come true!

Original posted on neekulmarie.tumblr.com on 4-3-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment