Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How five years started



Do you remember how it all started? I still do!

We were just elementary kids when we met. We were not even friends then. Who wanted to befriend you, anyway? You were such a pain in the ass. You teased and pestered everyone, including me. And I’ll say it again, we weren’t even friends then. When you left the school, our connection was cut, so was your teasing.

The next time I saw you was in high school. We were in different schools and you would boisterously shout at random students about the seaweed-color uniform of our school. You weren’t talking to me, but I’d say you were the same mocking boy I knew. When we were face to face on a jeepney ride one day, I somehow expected a “hi” or a smile from you, but I got neither. “He must have already forgotten me,” I thought. Not that it mattered at all.

Our paths crossed again in college. Maybe it was brought by fate I’m not sure, but I’m certain it was our good friend, Carla. You were with a group of friends so I wasn’t comfortable. I made excuses to leave but you made room for me and insisted I stay. I guess you’ve changed. What a gentleman!

We would bump into each other and we would talk nonsense. You would always make me laugh. We started to send each other quotes in text. You invited to me to watch your gigs a thousand times and after saying no every single time, I finally said yes. I was puzzled though that you didn’t hang out with us. You didn’t even talk to me. Oh well, you must have forgotten you invited me. Another thing puzzled me, why was I so affected? Did I badly want your attention?

We continued to friendly text. We were not textmates of some sort; it was just casual, five-message occasional exchange. Carla and my sister would tell me you sent your regards. I didn’t want to assume that you liked me so I pretended not to notice. Our texting became regular but we kept on joking around. Your teasing was back but it was different this time. It wasn’t the one that would make children cry. It was something that really made me laugh. You kidded about liking me and I gave in with the comic exchange. Until one day I told you maybe we should quit the jokes because I was having a hard time distinguishing which was true or not. You told me you were not kidding about you feel about me. And I told myself, maybe I felt the same way.

You asked me to go on a date and just like before, I turned you down a thousand times. After being convinced by my sister and friends, I gave it a shot. I have to admit the awkward parts were only at the beginning. You then started fetching me from school and we went home together. The usual boring and tiresome jeepney rides from school to home turned out to be great. It gave us time to talk. I loved talking to you especially when you told me about how you teased me in gradeschool because you had a crush on me. And also the times including that gig that you avoided me because you were shy that you already liked me. We spoke of your dreams and goals in life and so did I. You made me see that life is not a just a big joke to you.

I must admit I am not the easiest girl to court. I sometimes do it on purpose especially if I don’t like the guy but other times, it’s just being me. You told me you wanted be to be your girlfriend but I said I wasn’t ready because of my strict parents.I said no, but you proved yourself to be worthy. And I will always be thankful that you patiently won my heart and turned my no into a yes with flying colors. Never in five years did I say that I was tired or fed up with our relationship and I don’t think I ever will be.

Our relationship is far from perfect, but I believe we are perfect for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment